When it comes time to list and sell your Portland home you may need to conduct some home improvement renovations or updates in order to compete with your competition. Buyers are looking for the best home for the cheapest price, and there are some ways you can improve the look of your home quickly and inexpensively.
- Start with the paint. Typically a gallon or two of paint can refresh any home. Keep colors neutral and warm; steer clear of bright or dark colors in small rooms. Re-paint the trim on the outside of the house for a fresh look in curb appeal.
- Double check all of your electrical outlets. Make sure all of the outlets work. When a buyer conducts a home inspection the inspector will check all of these and if any of them don't work you'll need to replace them anyway. Refresh the outlets and the panels with clean and bright looking covers.
- Power wash your driveway or patio. Simply taking an hour and power washing driveways, sidewalks and pavers can clean up Moss and leaf debris that create dull and dingy looking surfaces. Pressure wash the outside of your house and fence. Just as your pavers and sidewalk need a good scrubbing so does the outside of your house or fencing. Clean off the grime and clean out your gutters for a fresh look to the outside of your home.
- Update your hardware. Placing new hardware on cabinets and drawers in the kitchen can bring new life to the area. Depending on the brand and the material, updating kitchen hardware can run between $100 and $500.
- Install new weather-stripping. Door jams and weather-stripping around windows can become tattered or missing over the years. Replacing these can add warmth and a finishing touch to your home.
- Replace filters. Furnace filters, oven vent filters and other filters throughout the house will need replacing for a fresh look and clean area environment. Buyers certainly don't want greasy vents dripping down onto new ranges.
- Consider a programmable thermostat. If you don't already have one, programmable thermostats are perfect to automatically vary the temperature throughout the day. They are easy to install, relatively affordable and help keep the temperature throughout your house different when you wake up, go to sleep, or leave for work.
These simple steps are a great way to improve the look and feel of your home for a faster sale and more satisfied buyers. For tips on your specific Vancouver or Portland home call me today.